The Centre for Health, Exercise & Sports Medicine (CHESM) at the University of Melbourne are excited to announce the release of My Knee Exercise (www.mykneeexercise.org.au).
My Knee Exercise guides people with knee pain through education about knee pain and exercise, a 6 month strengthening exercise program that progresses through 3 programs which can be completed independently at home, and creating plans to increase physical activity.
- Provides an evidence-based self-directed 6-month strengthening and physical activity program plus educational information
- Contains useful patient resources (including log books for strengthening exercises and physical activity) that are provided digitally, so that people may print/download them for their own use
- Includes videos and stories of the experiences of others living with knee pain, and exercise programs so people have a reference for proper form
- Designed for people over 45 years of age experiencing persistent knee pain or osteoarthritis
- Available free-of-charge to all users (e.g. people with knee pain, physiotherapists, physiotherapy students, educators, researchers)
My Knee Exercise was designed and developed by physiotherapists (led by Rachel Nelligan, Professor Kim Bennell, Professor Rana Hinman) at the University of Melbourne and tested in a clinical research trial. It was funded by an Australian National Health and Medical Research grant.
Take part in our other research projects
Mobile app for Knee Osteoarthritis (MappKO)
This study is comparing the effects of physiotherapy versus physiotherapy and a mobile app on knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
Shoes for Chronic Hip Pain (SCHIPP)
This study is comparing the effects of two classes of readily available off-the-shelf shoes on hip pain and osteoarthritis symptoms.
Exercise and Weight loss for Knee Pain (POWER)
This study is comparing the effects of exercise versus exercise and weight loss programs on knee osteoarthritis symptoms and weight loss.
Physiotherapists' Survey: Managing Hip Pain (CHASE)
This study is examining how physiotherapists manage chronic hip pain.
Athletic footwear for reducing knee loads in girls and women
This study is assessing athletic footwear for reducing knee loads in female netball players.
Ankle sprains in netball
This study is investigating ankle sprains and chronic ankle instability in netball.
Shoes for Adolescent Kneecap Pain (SHAPE)
This study is investigating the effects of shoes on kneecap pain in adolescents.
Online Tai Chi for Knee Osteoarthritis (RETREAT)
This study is comparing the effects of a self-directed 12-week online Tai Chi program plus online education with online education alone on knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
Footwear for adolescent kneecap forces
This study is investigating the effects of different off the shelf shoes on kneecap joint forces in adolescents.