The School of Health Sciences makes an allowance available to reimburse GRs for expenses including (but not limited to) conference travel/accommodation and registration, transcription costs, consumables, software requirements and other study related out-of-pocket expenses as determined appropriate by the principal supervisor. NOTE: there is a $500 limit on purchases of computer hardware for the duration of candidature.
The amount of the GR allowance is determined by the individual Departments based on their own budgets. A set amount is available per year beginning at enrolment (it is not calculated per calendar year). If not expended, the remaining amount is carried over and can be used in subsequent years.
Departments of Audiology and Speech Pathology, Nursing, Physiotherapy, and Social Work:
For PhD: $500 is available per year for 3.5 years, for a total amount of $1750.
For MPhil: $500 is available per year for 2 years, for a total of $1000.
Department of Optometry and Vision Science:
For PhD: $1000 is available per year for 3 years, for a total amount of $3000.
For MPhil: $750 is available per year for 2 years, for a total of $1500.
How to apply for the GR Student Allowance:
- Email your receipt or (already paid) invoice to your Primary Supervisor for approval.
- Forward their approval response, including the attached supporting documentation, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The MSHS Academic Programs Coordinator will submit a 'Refund and Out of Pocket Expense Claim Request' via ServiceNow. (Note: graduate researchers who are also staff members will be able to access this form directly but please do not use it as the approval needs to be manually checked to ensure compliance and that you haven't exceeded your current GR Allowance balance).
- When the form is submitted, it will trigger an auto-communication with you to supply your account details for payment so please keep an eye out for the email coming through to your student email address.
- Payment should occur within two weeks. (Note: there are finance processing delays during the University's end of year shutdown period but your request will be actioned when staff have returned).