All Melbourne School of Health Sciences research projects involving human participants require ethics approval from the School of Health Sciences Human Ethics Advisory Group (SHEAG) before they can proceed. Projects approved by a duly constituted external ethics committee only require registration with the SHEAG.
All Human Ethics applications (minimal risk, standard or approved by a duly constituted external ethics committee) are to be submitted electronically via the Human Ethics Workbench in Themis by following the steps below:
- Log into Themis at www.themis.unimelb.edu.au/
- Select the UOM Research – Self Service menu (if staff) or the UOM Research Student – Self Service menu (if student).
- Select the Human Ethics Workbench
- Create your application online - note you can save a draft at any stage before you submit it.
- Complete the online screens and:
- Click on the link provided to the Ethics Application Form. Complete this form offline. Once completed, it must be attached to the application.
- Electronically attach (where appropriate):
- Plain Language Statement/s
- Consent Form/s
- Evidence of any external approvals
- Submit your electronic application (an email confirmation will be sent to all researchers). It will now appear in Themis as "Lodged".
Please note that recent changes to ethics processes now mean:
- The only signatures that are now required on applications are those of the Responsible Researcher and the HEAG Chair. This is the case for all applications. Electronic signatures are acceptable. There is no requirement to obtain signatures from other researchers or the Head of Department.
- Students are not be listed as the “responsible researcher” (students can access/submit applications in Themis, but correspondence needs to be addressed to the principal supervisor/member of staff).
- There is no longer the need to submit hard copies of your applications form. As long as everything that the committee needs to review the application is uploaded in Themis i.e. application summary, consent form, plain language statement etc hardcopies do not need to be handed to your SHEAG administrator.
If any of the below criteria is not adhered to, your application will be reset to "draft" and you will be asked to resubmit it correctly as specified:
- Italicised questions [ prompts ] under each section heading on HREC form not be removed. [These serve to assist both the researcher and the reviewer ensure the question is adequately addressed]
- Attachments must be PDF format only (there have been major problems merging Word docs/docx files with the HREC forms)
- Keep attachments to a minimum e.g. Protocol/HREC form, PLS, consent forms, questionnaires, approval letters
2019 SHEAG application deadlines and meeting dates
|MEETING NO.||APPLICATION DEADLINE||MEETING DATE|
*Minimal risk applications only reviewed at Meeting 11/2019
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by two of the following SHEAG members at the meeting:
2019 SHEAG Committee Members
|Chair||Dr Snezana Kusljic|
|Deputy Chair||Dr Laura Downie|
|Nursing Academics||Prof Mei Krishnasamy|
|Social Work Academics||Dr Nicole Hill|
|Dr Margaret Kertesz|
|Physiotherapy Academics||Assoc Prof Adam Bryant|
|Dr Michelle Hall|
|Dr Thorlene Egerton|
|Optometry & Vision Sciences Academics||Prof Algis Vingrys|
|Dr Bao Nguyen|
|Audiology & Speech Pathology Academics||Dr Peter Carew|
|Dr Michelle Magee|
|Assoc Prof Bryony Nayagam|
The SHEAG reports to the University Psychology, Health & Applied Sciences Human Ethics Sub-Committee (PHAS-HESC).
In addition to SHEAG approval, all standard applications require approval from the PHAS-HESC. Please ensure any amendments requested by the SHEAG are completed and your amended application re-lodged at least 7 days before the closest PHAS-HESC application deadline
Navigating the application process provides a quick overview of the process for both HEAG and HESC review. Student researchers or those new to UoM processes should find it useful.
Alternatively, please direct any queries to the SHEAG Secretariat, Josie Smith (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).