1. Allison K. 2018. Understanding the barriers and facilitators to physiotherapy-delivered weight-loss interventions in overweight and obese patients. Veski Fellowship (The Victorian Government). $18,000.
2. Fini N, Virtue D, Donals K, Bower K, Dobson F. 2018. “Step in Time:” Development of an innovative program to engage physiotherapy students with aged care residents. University of Melbourne MDHS Learning and Teaching Initiative Seed Funding. $5000.
3. Hall M. 2018. Exercise for hip osteoarthritis: a case series. University of Melbourne. $24,937.
4. Hall M, Saxby D, Diamond L, Pizzolato C. 2018. Biomechanical contribution to hip osteoarthritis progression. Arthritis Australia, Reckitt Benckiser Grant for Osteoarthritis/Musculoskeletal Pain Management. $15,000.
5. Heywood S, Hinman R. 2018. Translating best practice in managing knee osteoarthritis into a public health setting: a pilot randomised controlled trial in telehealth delivered physiotherapy consultations. St Vincent’s Hospital Endowment Fund. $20,000.
6. Lawford B. 2018. Strengthening exercises for obese people with knee osteoarthritis: understanding the barriers and enablers experienced by patients performing exercise and the physiotherapists prescribing programs. University of Melbourne Early Career Researcher Grant. $32,220.
7. Skeat J, Vitkovic J, Tomlin D, Guest D, Hampson R, Dobson F. 2018. Interdisciplinary learning through clinical practice: Creation of ‘Healthy Ageing’ clinics for students across the School of Health Sciences. University of Melbourne MSHS Education Scholarship Grant. $4968.60.
8. Stanton T, Moseley L, Hill C, Bennell K. 2018. Does targeting pain-related beliefs in people with knee osteoarthritis increase physical activity? Arthritis South Australia. $15,000.
9. Bryant A, Hinman R, Bennell K, Paterson K, Kasza J. 2018-2019. Athletic footwear for reducing knee loads in girls and women. ASICS OCEANIA PTY LTD. $202,000.
10. Ferreira P, Simic M, Ferreira M, Bennell K, Luscombe G, Bauman A. 2018-2019. E-health to empower patients with Musculoskeletal Pain in Rural Australia (EMPoweR). University of Sydney eHealth Seed Research Fund. $20,000.
11. Groombridge S, Glasziou P, Hoffman T, Bennell K. 2018-2019. Shared decision-making: patient information and decision support tools for non-drug treatment of common musculoskeletal conditions – Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Handbook of Non-Drug Interventions (HANDI). Medibank Health Research Fund. $80,000.
12. Hunt M, Hinman R, Goldsmith M. 2018-2019. Shoe insoles designed to target foot and knee symptoms in people with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled study. Canadian Institutes of Health Research. $100,000CAD.
13. Bennell K, Hinman R, Keating C, Egerton T, Kasza J, Briggs A, Harris A, Page C, Fuller N, Keefe F, Rini C. 2018-2020. “CareOA” linking Australians with specialised knee osteoarthritis treatment and support across the osteoarthritis trajectory - a randomised controlled trial evaluating two remotely-delivered scalable health services tested in the private health insurance setting. . Medibank Health Research Fund and Medibank Private. $953,081.
14. Sherrington C, Hinman R, Crotty M, Hoffman T, Harvey L, Taylor N, Hassett L, Tiedemann A. 2018-2021. Physical activity coaching for adults with physical disabilities: a pragmatic randomised trial. NHMRC Project Grant $1,371,000.
15. Buchbinder R, Maher C, March L, Day R, Hinman R, Harris I, Ferreira M, Glasziou P, Green S, Billot L. 2018-2022. Australia & New Zealand Musculoskeletal (ANZMUSC) Clinical Trials Network. National Health and Medical Research Council Centre of Research Excellence (CRE). $2,500,000.
1. Allison K. 2017. Early Career Researcher Grant. University of Melbourne. $25,000.
2. Hall M, Saxby D, Diamond L, Pizzolato C. 2017. Biomechanical effects of valgus bracing. School of Allied Health Sciences Strategic Research Grant, Griffith University. $6,000.
3. Briggs A, Slater H, Bennell K, Leech M, Hinman R, Darlow B. 2017-2018. Closing the evidence-practice gap for non-pharmacologic and non-surgical osteoarthritis care with an e-health knowledge translation strategy. NHMRC TRIPP Fellowship (APP1132548). $177,197.
4. Bryant A, Bennell K, Hinman R, Paterson K, Kasza J. 2017-2019. Athletic footwear for reducing knee loads in girls and women. ARC Linkage. $202,000.00.
5. Hinman R, Wrigley T, Paterson K, Kasza J. 2017-2020. Footwear for self-managing knee osteoarthritis: the Footstep Trial. NHMRC Project. $590,532.
6. Katz J, Consultant: Bennell K. 2017-2022. Treatment of Meniscal Problems in Osteoarthritis (TeMPO Trial). $494,487 USD.
1. Hall M, Hinman R, Bennell K, Wrigley T, Saxby D, Lloyd D. 2016. Targeted exercise for knee osteoarthritis. Melbourne School of Health Sciences Seed Funding (The University of Melbourne). $17,216.
2. Hall M, Hinman R, Wrigley T, Bennell K. 2016. Targeted effect of neuromuscular and quadriceps strengthening exercise on knee joint structure for knee osteoarthritis: a pilot study. Rebecca Cooper Medical Research Foundation. $24,506.
3. Nicolson P, Bennell K, Hinman R, Wrigley T, Stratford P. 2016. Reliability & validity of self-reported measures of adherence to home strengthening exercise in people with knee osteoarthritis. Physiotherapy Research Foundation. $10,000.
4. Saxby D, Hall M, Lloyd D, Vertullo C, Obst S, Diamond L, Pizzolato C, Graham D. 2016. Knee biomechanics throughout rehabiliation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: relationship with knee structure, function and health. New Researcher Grant Scheme, Griffith University. $19,042.
5. Bryant A, Bennell K, Hinman R, Paterson K, Moktaradeh M, Pivonka P. 2016-2017. Influence of athletic footwear on lower limb biomechanics of pubertal girls. Australian Research Council Linkage Grant. $168,204. Industry funding: ASICS $80,000.
6. Hinman R, Bennell K, French S, Forbes A, Harris A, Briggs A, Bunker S, Gale J. 2016-2018. Integration of exercise counselling and support into the Musculoskeletal Help Line for knee OA: a mixed-methods study of a novel phone service. NHMRC Partnership Grant. $437,098 Industry funding: Medibank Health Research Fund $75,000.
7. Hinman R, Bennell K, French S, Forbes A, Harris A, Briggs A, Bunker S, Gale J. 2016-2018. Integration of exercise counselling and support into the Musculoskeletal Help Line for knee OA: a mixed-methods study of a novel phone service. NHMRC Partnership. $437,098.
8. Bennell K, Buchbinder R, Wang Y, Forbes A. 2016-2019. Hype or Hope? platelet-Rich plasma as a symptom- and disEaSe-modifying Treatment fOR knee ostEoarthritis - the RESTORE trial. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. $1,400,359.
9. Hunter D, Bennell K, Hinman R, Zwar N, Pirotta M, Briggs A, Schofield D, Forbes A, Bunker S, French S. 2016-2019. Optimising primary care management of knee osteoarthritis: the PARTNER project. NHMRC Partnership. $1,155,000.
10. Hodges P, Bennell K, Hunter D, Vicenzino B. 2016-2020. Musculoskeletal pain and disability: improving outcomes through conservative management. NHMRC Program Grant. $8,268,140.
1. Bryant A, Pivonka P. 2015. Sophisticated three dimensional motion analysis using portable computer gaming technologies: Calculating in vivo muscle and knee joint forces following reconstructive surgery. Defence Health Foundation Grants for Medical Research. $50,000.
2. Hall M. 2015. The University of Melbourne Early Career Research Grant. Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. $39,539.
3. Paterson K, Hinman R, Bennell K, Menz H. 2015. A multi-faceted podiatry intervention for the management of foot OA: a pilot RCT. Podiatry Education Research Fund. $7,767.
4. Paterson K, Hinman R, Bennell K, Menz H. 2015. A multi-faceted podiatry intervention for the management of foot OA: a pilot RCT. Arthritis Australia. $13,000.
5. Van Ginckel A. 2015. Cane Use and Bone marrow lesion size in medial knee osteoArthritis (CUBA). The University of Melbourne Early Career Research Grant. $38,223.50.
6. Bryant A, Bennell K, Hinman R, Paterson K, Moktaradeh M, Pivonka P. 2015-2017. Influence of athletic footwear on lower limb biomechanics of pubertal girls. ARC Linkage. $168,204.
7. Hunter D, Bennell K, Hinman R, Trevena L, Brand C, Harris A, Pirotta M, Georgeff M, Lawler L, Cahill A. 2015-2017. PARTNER Trial: Optimising primary care management of hip and knee OA. Medibank Health Research Fund. $320,706.
8. Katz J, Consultant: Bennell K. 2015-2017. Randomized Trial of Non-Operative Therapies for Degenerative Meniscal Tear (TeMPO). National Institutes of Health/NIAMS. $418,000 USD.
9. Bennell K, Hunter D, Hodges P, Buchbinder R, Pirotta M, Hinman R, Foster N, Michie S, Vicenzino B. 2015-2019. Centre of Research Excellence in Translation of Research into Improved Outcomes in Musculoskeletal Pain and Health (CRE TRIUMPH). NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence scheme. $2,500,000.
10. Bennell K, Hunter D, Hodges P, Buchbinder R, Pirotta M, Hinman R, Harris A, Foster N, Michie S, B V. 2015-2020. Translation of research into improved outcomes for musculoskeletal pain & health. NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence. $2,500,000.
1. Bennell K. 2014. Knee Osteoarthritis: getting moving with physiotherapy. ARC Future Fellowship Grant. $788,800.
2. Bryant A, Clark R, McCrory P. 2014. The ASICS Sports Medicine Research Fellow. ASICS Oceania Ltd. $590,000.
3. Dowsey M, Hinman R, Crossley K, Page C, Senserrick C, Smith A, Cowan S, Choong P. 2014. Patellar taping for anterior knee pain after arthroplasty: a pilot blinded trial. St Vincent’s Hospital Endowment Fund. $19,959.
4. Hinman R, Bennell K, Wrigley T, Bryant A. 2014. PEDAR foot pressure measurement system. NHMRC Large Equipment Grant Scheme. $19,000.
5. Hunt M, Takacs J, Chang R, Hinman R. 2014-2015. Combined medial and lateral orthotics for the treatment of knee OA. Pedorthic Research Foundation of Canada. $5,000CAD.
6. Bennell K. 2014-2016. Stick With It: overcoming barriers to exercise adherence for people with hip and knee osteoarthritis. Medibank Health Research Funding. $87,000.
7. Hinman R. 2014-2018. Can unloading footwear improve the care of people with knee OA? Future Fellowship Establishment Grant (Uni of Melb). $150,000.
8. Bennell K. 2014-2019. Improving conservative management of knee osteoarthritis. NHMRC Principal Research Fellowship. $727,610.
1. Bennell K, Wrigley T, Hinman R, Bryant A. 2013. Electromyography (EMG) wireless telemetry system for human muscle function recording. FMDHS NHMRC Major Equipment Grant. $22,080.
2. Brosseau L, Sherrington C, Bennell K, Briggs A, King J, Bell M, Brooks S, Sturnieks D, Toupin-April K. 2013. People getting a grip on arthritis: international online learning for consumers with rheumatoid arthritis. Canadian Institute of Health Research Planning Grant. CAD7,780.
3. Paterson K, Bates D, Bryant A, Clark R. 2013. The development of a tool designed to rate the serverity of plantar heel pain. Australasian Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine Research Grant. $5,500.
4. Hinman R, Wrigley T, Hunter D, Bennell K. 2013-2015. Unloading shoes for knee osteoarthritis: a double-blind randomised controlled trial. NHMRC Project Grant. $741,631.
5. Hunter D, Bennell K, Fransen M, Jeon Y-H, Jones G, Salkeld G. 2013-2015. Program evaluation of the osteoarthritis awareness hub. ARC Discovery Grant. $440,000.
6. Wark J, Howard S, Reavley N, Pirotta M, Varigos G, Bennell K. 2013-2015. Improving Vitamin D status and related health in young women (the Safe-D study). NHMRC Project Grant. $587,812.
7. Bryant A. 2013-2016. Why young people develop old knees. National Health & Medical Research Council Career Development Fellowship. $400,000.
8. Dekker J, Van der Leeden M, Van der Esch M, Roordal L, Lems E, Bennell K. 2013-2017. The effect of high-resistance muscle strength training and Vitamin D supplementation in knee osteoarthritis: a 2x2 randomised controlled trial. Dutch Arthritis Foundation. EUR230,000.
1. Bennell K, Hinman R, Dobson F, Roos E. 2012. Expanding the clinimetric evidence for the OARSI recommended set of performance-based measures of physical function. Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI). $7,000.
2. Berney S, Denehy L, Warrillow S, Parry S, Bryant A, Koopman R, Hart N. 2012. Early intervention to prevent muscle weakness in intensive care: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Intensive Care Foundation. $40,000.
3. Berney S, Denehy L, Warrillow S, Parry S, Bryant A, Koopman R, Hart N. 2012. An early intervention to prevent muscle weakness in intensive care. Austin Medical Research Foundation. $25,000.
4. Dobson F, Bennell K, Hinman R, Abbott J, Roos E. 2012. A standardised set of physical performance outcome measures for lower limb osteoarthritis. Arthritis Australia Grant-in-aid. $10,000.
5. Parry S, Denehy L, Berney S, Warrilow S, Koopman R, Bryant A, Hart N. 2012. An early intervention to prevent muscle weakness in intensive care: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Society of Critical Care Medicine Vision (USA). $50,000.
6. Choong P, Bennell K, Hinman R, Wrigley T, Dowsey M. 2012-2014. Evaluating the impact of obesity on knee load over time in those who have undergone optimal surgical re-alignment after total knee replacement. Australian Research Council Linkage Grant. $353,098.
7. Hunter D, Zhang Y, March L, Bennell K, Sambrook P. 2012-2014. Web based study of risk factors for pain exacerbation in knee osteoarthritis. NHMRC Project Grant. $399,903.
8. McCrory P, Morris M, Bladin C, Clark R, Williams G, Olver J. 2012-2016. Physical activity and fitness and stroke outcomes. NHMRC Project Grant. $730,832.
1. Bennell K, Wrigley T, Hinman R, Bryant A. 2011. Isokinetic dynamometer for human muscle function assessment. . The University of Melbourne Equipment Grant. $25,000.
2. Bryant A, Clark R, Fortin K. 2011. The effect of the POD Orthotic knee brace incorporating human motion hinge technology on lower limb biomechanics during walking, running and single-leg hopping. POD Orthotic Industry Grant. $25,000.
3. Culvenor A. 2011. Endeavour Postgraduate Research Fellowship. Commonwealth Government of Australia. $25,000.
4. Pua Y, Bryant A, Clark R. 2011. The influence of hip replacement on lower limb function. Singapore Health Project Grant. $50,000.
5. Schabrun S, Hodges P, Chipchase L, Jull G, Vicenzino B, Copland D, Bennell K, Tucker K. 2011. Brainsight2 Neuro-navigator for transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for project “Neuro-navigation for basic and clinical research”. University of Queensland Major Equipment and Infrastructure Grant and NHMRC Equipment Grant. $63,000.
6. Williams G. 2011. Strength Training Following TBI. Epworth Research Institute. $48,805.
7. Abbott J, Bennell K, Hinman R, Roos E, Dobson F. 2011-2012. Establishing an OARSI-recommended set of physical performance measures for hip and knee osteoarthritis. University of Otago Dunedin School of Medicine Dean’s Bequest. NZ$10,000.
8. Ho J, Pua Y, Clark R, Ong P, Bryant A, Leong P, Chan S, Wong W. 2011-2012. Anterior Cruciate ligament Epidemiology Study (ACES): Predictors of dynamic knee stability and return to pre-injury physical activity level. Singapore Health Project Grant. $50,000.
9. Hodges P, Bennell K, Jull G, Vicenzino B. 2011-2015. Musculoskeletal pain, injury and health: improving outcomes through conservative management. NHMRC Program Grant. $7,570,000.
10. Messier S, Carr J, De Vita P, Hunter D, Legault C, Loeser R, Mihalko S, Nicklas B, Williamson J, Eckstein F, Guermazi A, Bennell K. 2011-2016. Strength Training for Arthritis Trial (START). National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS). USD$3.89 million.