Cochlear implantation for children with single-sided deafness or very asymmetrical hearing loss
|Karyn Galvinemail@example.com||View page|
Children with single-sided deafness or very asymmetrical hearing loss are in effect listening with one ear. These children cannot access the substantial benefits provided by two-ear (bilateral) hearing. The only option to provide access to bilateral hearing when one ear has a profound hearing loss is a cochlear implant; however, with good hearing in one ear, the risk/benefit balance differs substantially from that for traditional implant recipients with hearing loss in both ears. There are also unique difficulties with cochlear implant use for this group, particularly in combining electric hearing with good acoustic hearing.
This project aims to determine the type and level of benefit gained from a cochlear implant for these individuals, and to understand the influence of child demographics on outcomes. It also aims develop clinical management practices which will facilitate informed decision making for families and maximize benefit for children whose families choose implantation.
- A/Prof Robert Briggs, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital Cochlear Implant Clinic\
- Ms Rebecca Farrell, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital Cochlear Implant Clinic
- Dr Jaime Leigh, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital Cochlear Implant Clinic
This research project is available to PhD students to join as part of their thesis.
Please contact the Research Group Leader to discuss your options.
- Farrell, R; Galvin, K; Leigh, J; Kaicer, A; Briggs, R; Dahm, M, Issues identified when considering cochlear implantation for children with single sided deafness. European Symposium on Paediatric Cochlear Implantation, Lisbon, Portugal, May 25-28 2017.
- Galvin, K; Todorov, M; Farrell, R; Briggs, R; Dahm, M; Dowell, R, Cochlear implantation in SSD/AHL: Early experiences with infants and children. Cochlear Global Research Symposium, Sydney, Oct 31–Nov 3 2016.
- Galvin, K; Todorov, M; Farrell, R; Briggs, R; Leigh, J; Dahm, M; Dowell, R, Cochlear implantation for children with Single-Sided Deafness or very Asymmetrical Hearing Loss (SSD/AHL): A report of four case studies. 69th Annual General Scientific Meeting NZSOHNS, Christchurch, Oct 16-19 2016.
- Farrell, R; Galvin, K; Leigh, J; Kaicer, A; Dowell, R; Dahm, M; Briggs, R, Issues in pre- and postoperative counselling and clinical management for children with Single Sided Deafness/Asymmetric Hearing Loss. 14th International Conference on Cochlear Implants and Other Implantable Technologies, Toronto, May 11-14 2016.
- Farrell, R; Galvin, K; Briggs, R; Leigh, J; Dahm, M; Dowell, R, Paediatric cochlear implantation as a treatment for Single-Sided Deafness/Asymmetrical Hearing Loss (SSD/AHL): Outcomes for three children. Hearing Across the Lifespan, Como, June 2-4 2016.
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact the research group leader.